Saturday 21 January 2012

Being happy

I recently saw a book that was all about how its the small things in life that make us humans happy. This could mean reading a great book, buying yourself flowers, enjoy a latte with extra froth, having a lie in or getting your nails done (these are all pretty girly examples but I'm not exactly sure what guys enjoy doing). I've found that to be true for me. Spending some time just taking care of myself for a bit can make me feel totally recharged and ready to get on with whatever I need to do. I'm also usually alot happier and easier to be around so its not totally selfish.

Take today for example, its been a pretty tiring week and I wasn't my happiest self yesterday, but this morning I went out in my break, walked round the corner and (very surprisingly) went into Starbucks to buy myself a latte. I sat there with my diary and a good book and just enjoyed the peace of not having to do anything. After my break I was back to work but with a smile on my face and new energy, probably partly because of the caffeine but also because I had taken care of myself. I thouroughly enjoyed the rest of that day.

Another thing that makes all the difference is people. It really ends up being all about people and relationships whatever it is we are doing. Having great people around me who are encouraging and friendly really gives me energy but being alone for too long just makes me feel as if I'm going mad (thats when I start talking to things around me).
On Wednesday evening I went to Hillsong's young adults big connect night where all the different connect groups met up at a bar for some serious mingling. It was a great place to meet new people! I love the fact that this was part of church, lots of people having fun and getting to know each other in a bar in the middle of London. I traveled back with a great American girl who is also taking care of kids in London and we had a nice chat.

Like I said its the little things in life that make all the difference. My tip to you for the weekend is to write a list of little things you really appreciate and enjoy doing that make you happy. Then whenever you need (or simply just want) some taking care of you have plenty of easy suggestions. If you get a bit stuck here are some that might just work for you:
  • Leaving ten minutes earlier so you don't have to rush
  • Smiling at a stranger and getting a smile back
  • Eatin a peanut butter and jam sandwich
  • Listening to great music and not doing anything but listening
  • Eating your favorite food
  • Buying yourself a little present (don't spend too much money coz that can have the opposite effect)
  • Not doing anything in particular for a while
  • Watching a film that makes you laugh
  • Wearing your favorite clothes and looking good (or just thinking you look good)
  • Hanging out with a close friend or my lovely little sis

No comments:

Post a Comment